Comments on the Mountain Valley Pipeline’s request for a two-year extension of its certificate to construct the pipeline, which is due to expire October 13, are due to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) by 5 pm on Friday, September 11.  ABRA members and those active in the coalition are urged to file comments in opposition to the certificate extension request.  Principal reasons why FERC should reject the MVP request, as detailed in the August 27 issue of ABRA Update, are:

  • The project is no longer needed, as evidenced by a weakened market for natural gas and the industry’s own admission that there is excess pipeline capacity serving the Marcellus shale field (see August 14 ABRA Update), an excess that will only grow if the MVP is built.
  • The MVP’s justification for completing the project because it is already “92% complete” is a decided exaggeration. The company’s own filings with FERC state that only one-half of the project is fully complete, and the one-third of the route in Virginia is only 15% complete.  For more, see the August 10 Virginia Mercury.  
  • If 92% of the MVP route is actually complete, why would it take two years to complete the remaining 8% of the project? It shouldn’t take two-years and the MVP should not be provided the opportunity to continue an unneeded project.
  • Given that North Carolina has denied a Section 401 water certificate for the Southgate Project, what assurance can MVP demonstrate that the project (which is one of the cited reasons for the certificate extension request to FERC) will even be built?

FERC strongly encourages electronic filings of comments, protests and interventions in lieu of paper using the “e-File” link at Persons unable to file electronically may mail similar pleadings to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, 888 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20426. Hand delivered submissions in docketed proceedings should be delivered to Health and Human Services, 12225 Wilkins Avenue, Rockville, Maryland 20852.

Comments Due Friday, September 11 on MVP Extension Request
Tagged on: