A new report released by Oil Change International makes the case that gas is not a “bridge fuel” to a safe climate. Aside from the often-discussed issue of leaking methane throughout the gas supply chain, the report identifies five additional reasons why gas cannot be the “bridge to a clean energy future” as it is touted by proponents.
Briefly, these points are:
- Gas Breaks the Carbon Budget
- Coal-to-Gas Switching Doesn’t Cut It
- Low-Cost Renewables Can Displace Coal and Gas
- Gas Is Not Essential for Grid Reliability
- New Gas Infrastructure Locks In Emissions
The report shows that myth of gas as a “bridge” to a stable climate does not stand up to scrutiny. Link to the Oil Change International press release and report here. Also, see the Vox story in the Big Picture section.