The Allegheny Blue-Ridge Alliance (ABRA) is a coalition of conservation organizations dedicated to promoting and protecting the environmental integrity of the Allegheny-Blue Ridge region, which encompasses the Central Appalachian Highlands area of Virginia and West Virginia. The principal purposes of ABRA are
- To advance public knowledge and understanding of the cultural; biological, environmental diversity, uniqueness, and sensitivity of the major ridgelines that comprise the Allegheny-Blue Ridge Region;
- To preserve and protect areas of particular scenic, geologic, biologic, historic, wilderness, and/or recreational importance in the Allegheny-Blue Ridge Region;
- To aid in the establishment of responsible policies to protect scientific, educational or aesthetic values;
- To conduct regional and resource studies as a basis for the wise use of the various resources of the Allegheny-Blue Ridge Region; to develop programs in energy conservation and wise production; and to serve local communities, the region, the people of the Allegheny-Blue Ridge Region as an agency for popular enlightenment, for cultural improvement, and for scientific advancement;
- To advocate policies and programs for the conservation and wise management of energy and natural resources of the Allegheny-Blue Ridge Region.
How we operate
ABRA is governed by a 16-member Steering Committee comprised of representatives of member organizations. Policy positions are subject to membership approval. The Steering Committee is responsible for interpreting policy and developing implementation plans. Staff (Chair/Executive Director and a Communications Coordinator) carry out implementation.
How we are supported
ABRA’s activities are supported by grants from philanthropic foundations, donations from ABRA member organizations and contributions from individuals. ABRA’s fiscal agent is Highlanders for Responsible Development, a 501 (c)(3), tax-exempt organization. Contributions from individuals are welcome. Checks should be made out to “Highlanders for Responsible Development – ABRA” and mailed to:
Allegheny-Blue Ridge Alliance
P.O. Box 685